The Sisters of St. Casimir Motherhouse, an institution for more than 100 years in the Chicago Lawn neighborhood, will soon be transferred to Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Chicago. The Motherhouse and surrounding property at 2601 W. Marquette Road will become home to several Catholic Charities programs and hundreds of staff. In addition, the administrative offices of the Sisters of St. Casimir will continue to operate out of the Motherhouse.
Catholic Charities is committed to maintaining the integrity and Catholic history of the property. It anticipates having staff and services operating out of the property in 2015. “The Sisters have had a deep and rich history in this community. Right now we serve more than 15,000 people in the surrounding neighborhoods. The sheer size of the Motherhouse campus will allow us to move a number of services to the property and help even more people across Cook and Lake counties,” said Monsignor Michael M. Boland, President of Catholic Charities. “Since 1917 Catholic Charities has gone to where the need is greatest. We are thankful to work closely with the Sisters to ensure that those most in need will receive assistance and support on their paths to self-sufficiency while continuing the great tradition and history the Sisters have had in the community for more than 100 years,” Boland continued.
Sister Regina Dubickas, General Superior of the Sisters of St. Casimir, commented, “For more than 100 years our congregation has ministered to the needs of this area and the broader community. To have Catholic Charities continue and strengthen our legacy of service is an answer to our prayers. It speaks of a bright and hope-filled future for all of us.”
The property dates back to 1911, when Mother Maria Kaupas, foundress of the Sisters of St. Casimir, moved the religious order from Scranton, Pennsylvania to Chicago, Illinois. At one time the Congregation numbered almost 500 Sisters; today they number 66 Sisters. Through an extensive strategic planning process, the Sisters determined that a property the size of the Motherhouse was no longer needed to carry out their mission of service. The Motherhouse also is home to a 300 seat chapel, which was added in 1925. The chapel will remain, with Catholic Charities planning on using it for religious services for staff and for the community. The Sisters of St. Casimir will also continue to use the chapel for their special celebrations. The remains of Mother Maria Kaupas will stay at the site. The Vatican has declared Mother Maria “Venerable” and her cause for beatification continues.
About Catholic Charities
Helping people in need for more than 97 years, Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Chicago is one of the largest private, not-for-profit social service agencies in the Midwest, annually assisting more than 1million people in Cook and Lake counties without regard to religious, ethnic or economic background. Catholic Charities fulfills the Church’s role in the mission of charity by providing compassionate, competent, professional services that strengthen and support individuals, families and communities.
About the Sisters of St. Casimir
Throughout their 107 year history, the Sisters of Saint Casimir have ministered across the United States and in Argentina in educational, health care, and pastoral ministries. Responding to the needs of our time, wherever they are, they continue to live the mission of Jesus in ways that reflect the spirit and faith-filled vision of their foundress, Venerable Maria Kaupas.
For more information
Contact Catholic Charities:
Kristine Kappel, 312-655-7019
Contact The Sisters of St. Casimir:
Paula Schultz, 773-776-1324, x221